Saturday, April 21, 2012

Where is home?

So after a week in the garden of England, I'm back in the academic world... oh how I've missed the library!

It has been a bit of a strange week, for it has been very possible my last week as Maidstone being 'home'! Ok, I know that I haven't ever lived in Maidstone for more than a few months, but it has been home, even when I had my own house in Newcastle. Not to say that the other places I have lived since I was 18 haven't also been home, but there has been something about Maidstone. Maybe it has been because that has been where my parents lived, or maybe, even though my parents have only lived there since I was 18, it has always been a place that has been a big part of my life, as it was where my grandparents lived, as well as other members of my extended family. So this raises the question... what makes a place some where we can call 'home'?

Is home where our family is? Is it the place where we live? Is there a combination of things that makes a place a home? So as I sit in my flat in Cambridge, with my parents moving to the other side of the country, I wonder where home is now? Watch this space...

No comments:

Post a Comment