Thursday, April 26, 2012

A bizarre birthday...

As the sun comes up in Cambridge, I can do no more than sit and reflect on my experiences of yesterday which went in to making up one of the most bizarre birthdays ever. It may not have been so unreal if I had had only my first assessed service and Greek, things you may expect for it being a college day, but then there was everything else!

Starting with my assessed service--it was nice to have my tutor say that it is one of the most nerve-racking preaching engagements, bar Federation Worship (luckily I will never have to lead one of those). Spending the whole week quaking has really not been healthy!  But it was a really humbling experience and I think I am still in shock over the comments I recieved. Standing up at the front of chapel was a definite 'in God's strength, not mine' moment, but that is what is should be, otherwise I really am doing the wrong thing! Though sometimes I still wonder 'how did I get here' as I stand at the front leading worship, it is an honour to be able to lead people in something that lets them draw close to God and worship His amazing goodness.

To the rest of the day, I'm just lost for words. It was one with as many ups and downs in it as I think I've experienced in the first two terms! Maybe it all has to do with the joys of community living, or the fact that some of us have essays due in 11 days. To be trying to participate and even chair meetings, when you've been spending every waking moment in front of a computer writing and every other moment worrying about how many words you still have to go, is possibly a little foolish - but then we are part of the Church and we do sometimes have some very silly ideas! Unfortunately, things do go wrong at times and get messy, that's life. There are some days, though, I wish it didn't have to happen to me on such a regular basis!


No comments:

Post a Comment