Sunday, April 15, 2012

Another fine mess I've got myself into!

Another week gone, the vacation quickly slipping away and back to the village chapel to preach! Now I know I'm not a Methodist (well, not any longer anyway), but I do like going to the village chapel. I have been going there since about the age of three, so now standing up at the front leading worship is almost as bad as having to stand up and lead worship at college! But as a place to lead worship it is fantastic! It is your traditional Methodist chapel, they'll sing anything and with great gusto! I wish some of our URCs were a bit more like that.

The gospel reading in the lectionary for today was doubting Thomas and how we have to believe without seeing or touching the tangible. Some thing that is easy to say, but to actually do is so much more difficult. It more easy to go into a doubting Thomas mode, than catching hold of faith and taking the next step forward. But this is the challenge for those of us that stand up at the front on a Sunday, we have to take the Word of God and turn it into something tangible - something that our congregations can reach out and take hold of, so that they can believe! A very scary challenge, and one that comes with great responsibility. Oh my... what have I got myself into?!

No comments:

Post a Comment