Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Question of the week: what is worship?

One of the unique things about studying in a Cambridge theological college is that my college is part of an ecumenical federation of theological colleges and institutions. This is great, not only because it is ecumenical (which we do rather like in the United Reformed Church), but it means that we get to meet and study with other ministrial students from other denominations. However, as I progress through my training, I can see that this will be a point of much reflection and possibly debate, particularly in terms of theology.

As a Federation we meet fortnightly to worship together, which when made up of Catholics, Anglicans, Methodists, Orthodox and us means a wide and varied experience of worship. This evening was such an evening and it was the turn of the Orthodox communitee to lead. Divine Liturgy, definitely an experience! Was it worship as I define worship... very possibly not, but then the Orthodox most probably think the same when they come to a service led by us.

But what is worship? How do I theologically reason how I worship compared to another Christian? Do I really need to worry about this? Will I every be able to answer any of these questions?

Maybe with it only being the second week of term I will be content with celebrating the fact that so many christians from different traditions can come together under one roof to stand before God!

No comments:

Post a Comment