Thursday, October 13, 2011

Before we begin, could we just pray?

So today marks the start for week 2 of term! Yes, I know it is a Thursday and not a Monday, but just to confuse us even more than we already are, Cambridge has academic weeks that start on a Thursday! Maybe they think because the University only takes the elite, starting a week on a Thursday is not an issue, but what about us mere Ordinands who can't even seem to put things in the right day in the diary!!!

Anyway, putting that to one side, I have now experienced all the subjects which I will grapple with in the coming year: Old Testament studies, New Testament studies, Church Doctrine, Church History and ofcourse Greek! Nothing too suprising in the subject headings and all interesting stuff - even a few pictures, though not in the textbooks! I'm even getting to grips with the Greek, though that might be short lived!

Now have you ever sat in a lecture where the lecturer has stood up and said "Before we begin, I just want us to pray"? Well, maybe being at theological college I should have twigged that being that most of my lecturers are ordained, prayer might just come up one or two times and actually God is pretty central to what we're doing here, so we should be asking Him to come and join in. Well I hadn't and this revelation has really struck me this week and highlighted to me how bad we are at inviting God into what we're doing. So note to self (and anyone who is reading this that has anything to do with church) 'Don't Forget God'!

I have come to understand this week that there is so much to learn and a lot that I will experience in the next four years (some of which currently feels me with dread when I think about it). But apparently there is a plan and I just need to worry about what I'm doing today!

No comments:

Post a Comment