Thursday, March 29, 2012

Not quite an audience with Bach...

So here finishes the second week of the vacation; another week of reading and essay writing. But I haven't been chained to a desk all week... and I haven't just been to Starbucks for a change of scene!

Cambridge being a very cultured city, with most of the railings covered with adverts for concert after concert, it was about time I actually experienced some of this culture. So to the Cambridge Corn Exchange I went with my oldest brother, to see The Waterboys. Ok, maybe they don't fit with most of concerts advertised on the railings, it definitely wasn't St Matthew's Passion by Bach, but it was definitely cultural; I now know some Yeats for starters!

However, whilst rocking in the 'mosh pit' I did realised how obscure some of the music is I listen too. As there standing around me were people who were not just old like my brother (who is 11 years older than me), but much old than him. Though Mike Scott (lead singer of the Waterboys) did tell us that the first time he played the Corn Exchange was in 1980, a whole year before I was born!

Does it really matter that my CD collection is heavily weighted towards bands and singers who were maybe not even main stream in the 80's - most probably not because it doesn't mean that I can't appreciate a bit of Bach.

No comments:

Post a Comment