Friday, March 23, 2012

The Church... really?

I may have been on 'holiday' for a week, but apart from Starbucks, I've not been anywhere but the library, which has been a mightily busy place. Anyone would think that some of us had essays due when the vacation is over!

My focus this week has been ecclesiology and christology: in what sense can the Church be said to be the body of Christ. Now, if I was writing a New Testament essay I may not still be sat here wondering what I'm trying to say, but this a doctrine essay... a very different beast! But here is a scriptual description of Church, one I've heard numerous times and know Paul is talking about unity in his letters. But then you look at the Church and see the schisms, the numerous denominations and stand-alone churches, the arguements within the different groups and I have to wonder how we can still describe ourselves as the 'body of Christ' or whether we actually ever listen to what we preach!

However, there is more to being the 'body of Christ' than just unity and why it is still a valid description of the Church and we are only human, so we're not going to get it right all the time. All we can do is keep praying and you never know we might eventually work out that we can be diverse and united!

So all I need to do now is turn this short theological reflection in to a 3000 word Christian Doctrine essay! Greek translation is looking like an easier option...

No comments:

Post a Comment