Saturday, February 25, 2012

Hello, my name's Elaine...

this week has been a little busier than normal... I've actually been 'working' and not just studying! In this first year I undertake a social context placement, which for me was to spend a week at the local hospice with the chapliancy team.

Well as some of you know, I'm not good at walking into a room and introducing myself, so having to do this all week has been a huge challenge. Then I've had to hold a conversation with that person - ahhh! Why does ministry have to include pastoral visiting? Can't I just write them a letter?

Aside from this hugh challenge set me, it has a been a fantastic week and given me a real insight into people. Though you might expect the hospice to be a place of sadness and distress, it is not. It is a place of love, joy and even hope. Though there is a realisation that life may be near its end, and there is much grief surrounding that, people know that what ever happens it will be ok. Now I'm not saying that everyone I have met has it sorted, there are those who are in denial both patients and families. But they wouldn't be human if denial didn't feature at some point whilst coming to terms with what is happening and what's to come. I think all of us are to some extent in denial that eventually are life will come to an end. Personally, things that surround death scare me even with knowing God's amazing love for me.

So after this week, I may still be rubbish at walking into a room and holding a pastoral conversation (really need more practice at this), but I have learnt that whether you are seriously ill or even dying, you are no less human and you still want to know what the weather is like.

No comments:

Post a Comment