Thursday, June 27, 2013

Who's side?

Now that the academic year is over and I'm sat with my feet up, watching the world go by with plenty of time to muse about life, the universe and everything, I thought it was time to get blogging again. Don't want to let my theological reflection practice to slip!

Hmmm... to be sat around with my feet up, watching the world go by - now that would be nice. In reality I'm blogging to avoid sermon writing! Now almost a week back on placement and just about to start writing sermon number 3! The delusion that as a minister I only have to work Sundays has now well and truly evaporated.

As a student minister, being attached to a church in Cambridge has its advantages and disadvantages. There is always plenty of intellectual and simulating conversation to be had and you get to meet some amazing people who have done some amazing things for the advancement of knowledge and society. However, there is also a high population of retired ministers - Cambridge must rival Bognor in the statistics! When you add them into the mix with the academics, other ministers who are based in Cambridge with no pastoral charge and the members whose husbands, wives, parents and/or grandparents where ministers - the congregation becomes all of a sudden very daunting. Every at of worship you lead has the tendency to start to feel like an accessed service.

So when your supervisor turns to you and says he wants you to experiment, imagine the fear that gripped me. However, this was just a midweek service in the chapel with a congregation of around 8 individuals, who I have learnt over the year are not too scary. Fear subsided a little - then the congregation walked in - of the 10, four were ministers! If I could aparate, that moment was the moment I would have used that skill; but alas however much I wished I was somewhere else I remained where I was. But at least I could proved my supervisor and my college tutor wrong spectacularly!

There are some days when you have to wonder whether God does take sides - yesterday was one of those for me. Unfortunately, the experiment worked and my supervisor and tutor were proved right. No spectacular mess ups, theological fopars or fish impressions - only words inspired by God and delivered through the strength of God, for I didn't do it on my own.

Maybe God doesn't take sides, God just knows what's best. But since my tutor didn't witness the experiment, I might be able to keep my comfort blanket for a little longer :)

No comments:

Post a Comment