Monday, July 23, 2012

A shacking and a quivering...

This Sunday I had my first experience of preaching in a Cambridge church. Now, this isn't the first time I've preached and I'm always a little nervous; but this week...

But why? What made this congregation any different from all the other congregations I've stood in front of? Well, my College Principal was there, then there was a former College Principal, several other retired ministers, quite a few people with PhDs and the list goes on. The CVs of the congregation are impressive to say the least. But should people's qualifications really matter on a Sunday morning in the pews?

If I was presenting an academic paper I could understand why it matters. Not that I'm saying a sermon should not be well researched or be without academic rigor. But, a Sunday morning (or any other time in the week when God' people gather) is about worshipping God together; offering the events of the past week and the events of the coming week to God and exploring together God's message to us in the Bible. It is the place where everyone is equal, because we are all equal before God. And we are all human--though some may seem super-human at time.

All I have to do now is remember this the next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment